Archives Terms of Access
Archives Collection Terms of Access
Researchers are requested to make an appointment by calling 585-768-7433 to view items from the Archives.
Material from the LeRoy Historical Society Archives does not circulate and must be viewed in the library area. We reserve the right to restrict access to certain materials due to their physical condition. Researchers must read these guidelines, fill out the registration form and present a photo ID with current address information.
- Before beginning research, please make sure your hands are clean. Soil and hand lotions can be very damaging to archival documents. Food, drink, and chewing gum are strictly prohibited while viewing materials
- Materials must be used at a designated table in the library. Bookbags, backpacks, purses, briefcases, coats, etc., must be placed under the table.
- Archival materials are often unique, rare, and fragile items and should be handled with care. USE PENCIL ONLY for all note-taking. Pens and markers are not permitted. No books, papers, or other objects may be laid on the materials. Do not use paper clips.
- The use of laptops is permitted. Researchers may use their digital cameras and cell phones for photographs. No flash is allowed. Handheld scanners are not allowed.
- Only one box may be used at a time. Please maintain archival records in the exact order and arrangement in which they were stored. Place card holders will be provided to you.
- The staff of the LHS is responsible for all photocopying and scanning. The user must read the provisions of the LeRoy Historical Society’s Photocopy/Scan Request form and sign the letter of agreement.
- No rights to reproduce, publish, adapt, record, or otherwise use materials held by the LeRoy Historical Society are hereby granted. Researchers of the collection assume full responsibility for the laws of libel, invasion of privacy, and copyright. The user of such materials is responsible for acquiring permissions that may be required and agrees to indemnify and hold the LeRoy Historical Society, its Board of Directors, and employees harmless from any claims, actions, judgments, and expenses (including reasonable attorney fees) of infringement or otherwise, that may arise out of the recipient’s use of the materials.
- Obtaining permission to reproduce images from the LeRoy Historical Society Collections in any format requires a written request. The request should include details of the intended use of the image. Credit must be visible and adjacent to the image should read, “From the (collection name) Collection of the LeRoy Historical Society, LeRoy, NY.”